KEY TIPS TO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNTANT
Paying an accountant to handle all of your financial reporting can be expensive, but if you have several different sources and deductions or if you own a small business, it can be worth it.
Accountants know many little tricks to saving you money that you might not, plus they understand the tax laws and the paperwork that has to be filed. If you’re still not certain about the expense, here are some ways you can get the best value from your accountant.
- Explain what you need from your accountant. They can’t give you the service you want if they don’t know what that is. Let them know how often you expect to need their services, how quickly you’ll need answers to your questions, and other requirements.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Your accountant is an expert on taxes, so why wouldn’t you take advantage of that? If you have any question about your finances, a quick phone call may be all it takes to get the answer.
- Ask what other services your accountant offers. Some may do more than just your taxes. They may be able to give you investment advice or review loan applications. A good accountant may also be able to help you put together your business plan or with selling your business.
- Keep excellent records. How does doing this work yourself get you more value from your accountant? If you can give them clear, easy to read records, they don’t have to spend much time trying to figure out your finances. That translates to less time working on “organising” your records and less cost. (this about moving to cloud based accounting software such as Xero)
- Likewise, do the easy work yourself if you’re comfortable doing it. This way, your accountant can focus on the more difficult aspects of your taxes and you save a little money.
- Ask your accountant for referrals. They probably have a good number of contacts in other areas, so make use of that. Your accountant may be able to point you to a lawyer or supplier, for example, or even a great doctor.
- Keep your accountant up to date on what you’re doing with your business. This way, there are no surprises when it comes time to lodge your taxes. Let them know if you plan on diversifying, adding a new partner, or significantly increasing your income. You may even want to meet with your accountant once every quarter or six months.
At SMART Business Solutions we believe businesses need SMART solutions, not just annual tax compliance. Contact us to assist you in streamlining your record keeping process so we can focus on growing your business and planning your wealth.
Any further questions? Please contact SMART Business Solutions on 0359 11 7000 or firstname.lastname@example.org